I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear me forever, for their own good and the good of their children after them. I will make with them an everlasting covenant, that I will not turn away from doing good to them. And I will put the fear of me in their hearts, that they may not turn from me. I will rejoice in doing them good, and I will plant them in [the promised] land in faithfulness, with all my heart and all my soul. (Jeremiah 32:39-41)
Our Mission: First Presbyterian Church is here so that you and I will be drawn to, gripped by, and transformed through the gospel so that we might live joyfully for God’s glory.
Our Purpose: First Presbyterian Church…giving the gospel away for the joy of His glory. ~ Romans 1:16
Our Vision: As the first church established in Montgomery, we especially remember Jesus’ promise to ever build his Church and never let Her die. Yet it is not enough to rejoice and rest on our history. Why has God kept First Presbyterian Church alive for almost 200 years? What is God’s vision for this church in this community at this time?
To answer this question we’re struck by two characteristics common in our community:
- Most people sincerely think they know, understand, and believe in the gospel.
- Yet their lives do not show the transformation the gospel always brings.
This is true for people outside and inside our church. Our community seems to have forgotten that the gospel:
- Explains the Problem: why life is broken and futile, ruined by our own choices.
- Provides the Solution: how Jesus heals what is broken, and restores meaning and purpose to life.
- Applies the Result: that the gospel is God’s actual power to effect what it offers.
We believe God has called us into a new season of life to address this need of our community. First Presbyterian Church is here so that we will be drawn to, gripped by, and transformed through the gospel so that we might live joyfully for God’s glory.
We’re First Presbyterian Church…giving the gospel away for the joy of His glory. ~ Romans 1:16
Core Values: (non-negotiable commitments)
|• Authority of Scripture • Means of Grace Ministry||• Reformed Doctrine • Presbyterian Polity||• Grace-based Lifestyle • Biblical Renewal|
Areas of Excellence: (where we aspire to excel)
|• Leadership Development|
Pastor’s Top Priorities: (where he needs to express his faith)
|• Worship (word-sacrament-order of worship)||• Prayer & Study
• Leadership Development
|• Develop Shepherding
• Personal & Family Health
Aspirational Values: (how we desire to function)
Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent, and do the works you did at first. If not, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent. (Revelation 2:5)
- Seek to live simple, covenant-based lives (walking by faith and repentance).
- Pursue what it means to be pilgrims in this life, living in this world by faith and looking for life in the next world with Christ.
- Grow in the practice of three-fold worship (private, family, and corporate.)
- Function as a covenant family committed to living in grace, showing the love of Christ to one-another and to others.
- Abstain from self-reliance; increasingly growing deeper in Christ-reliance.
- Establish prayer as a dominant characteristic in our church.
- Require preaching/teaching that upholds Christ in all the scriptures.
- Observe the sacraments for strength and assurance.
- Pursue the spiritual formation of every believer and household.
We Assume: (what we think about East Montgomery/Pike Road)
- That many people in our community are disenchanted with the Church and others are disconnected from the Church;
- That the community surrounding the church will continue rapid growth in population;
- That the current state of the economy is causing people to reevaluate their values and goals in regards to their spiritual life.
If you would like more information about FPC or our mission, vision, and values, please feel free to contact the church office and ask to speak with one of the elders about our Vision-Based New Member's Class. They would be happy to help you in any way they can.